Watched another really good webinar this evening by my good friend Ryan Angelo, and his focus was on fear.
His training was called Slight of Mouth. He pointed out that this is a skill that helps you overcome any and all objections in your network marketing business.
Slight of mouth can be used for good and for not so good. Ryan made the point that there are a lot of politicians who are skilled in this system, and use it to advance an ideology.
Most politicians use slight of mouth to get to the why and how of people’s fears and then they turn that fear into finding a solution which negates the fear and the deal closes.
Fear as Ryan says, “is nonsense, but is cunning and clever.” “It is like a virus – it can sneak in when there is not awareness.”
You have to develop a system and tap into it. You have to have the ability to understand your prospect from the inside out. Their beliefs are right for them and they do not like variables. They will automatically reject the discomfort of things that are not congruent with their beliefs. In adopting this system of slight of mouth, you will close more prospects, which will give you more time and more options.
There are six primary fears that people have. They shield themselves from the darkness of these six fears. When they encounter any of these fears, they generate an energy that protects them from that which they believe will harm them.
The six fears are:
1. Poverty – Poverty is a self-defining loop, a rat race, it’s when there is just enough money to pay the bills. They rarely get to enjoy a night out or a vacation.
When a prospect tells you they don’t have enough money, or the opportunity is too expensive, it is because they fear poverty.
2. Criticism – Criticism is fear of not being liked. In network marketing, this is a common reason marketers do not approach friends and family. For prospects, they may have been in a network marketing company previously, and experienced this first hand.
3. Illness – Illness is a fear that is more common as we get older. The thought of getting a terminal disease is a real fear. When money is an issue in paying for doctor visits people tend not to go to the doctor because this leads back to fear of poverty.
4. Loss of Love – Loss of Love is a more common fear for young people who lose their first love through a breakup, or older people who lose a loved one to old age or illness. The thought of being alone is hard to take, and can be devastating. Self image is connected to that fear as young people feel rejected, and older people, feel weak and timid.
5. Old Age – Old Age is a biggie because there are so many baby boomers who are entering retirement and finding out they are bored, and it feels like they are in God’s waiting room. Ryan points out that this is a big market to tap into – make them feel young again.
6. Death – Death is uncertain but inevitable. Can you offer a degree of certainty in an uncertain timeline?
Ryan says, “respond to these objections by saying – How does that make you feel?” You have to widen the frame and respond to their answer by saying, “you’re right, how can we correct that?”
Some fears may be more difficult than others to get past the energy barrier that your prospect has surrounded himself with. Slight of mouth is a reframe – you work from problem to solution through a non-confrontational understanding.
Finally, it is important to note that many of the six fears overlap in some way. Many are rooted in money or lack thereof. That being said, we, as marketers, can use slight of mouth to improve the lives of the people we meet and change the world for the better.
We help ourselves by helping others.
To your success…
PS: Leave a comment if you learned that fear when identified will be a path to success; then SHARE, TWEET, LIKE and PIN this post, because your thoughts, actions, beliefs and questions are what give others permission to experience life.
Image: Ambro / FreeDigitalPhotos.net